Wednesday, March 25, 2009

State of WI layoff/cut hours question regarding unemployment.?

My company is holding a meeting today at 2 and it's been said that they're talking about cutting a day out of the work week (32 hours lost per month) and asking some to do a voluntary lay-off.





Financially the lay-off would benefit me more IF I can collect unemployment. No matter what I cannot live off of 32 hours per week as my husband is in college and we have two kids in daycare. Anyone know what my rights are here? If I do take the lay-off can I collect unemployment? Do I have to cut my hours if they try to make me?



If you do the voluntary lay off, I don't think you can claim unemployment. But if it is involuntary, then you can. If you are classified a full-time worker, and they are shortening their work week, they are liable for the lay-off time if they did it without your consent. If you consent, then you lose any claim to unemployment.





Check on the website; google Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance. It will get you to their site, and they have all of the information that is needed, and you will be able to file a claim on there as well.





Good luck!!




Get a second job! My goodness, you want to ad to our already stressed out unemployment system? At least you are working and that is something to be humbled by and proud of.





It sounds like you don't want to work because unemployment benefits last about 90 days and are only 1/3 of your pay. Can you live on that? It would seem you make more money working by losing only 4 days per week.





If you want to quit, than do. But don't use this as an excuse to stay home and collect another taxpayer check.

No comments:

Post a Comment